Hiccups: Causes, 8 Best home remedies, Excercise, and Pressure points.
Involuntary contraction of the diaphragm near the lungs produces a sound “hiccup” in the vocal cord.
Causes of hiccups:
1.Short term hiccups :
- Sudden change in temperature.
- Excessive drinking of alcohol.
- Sometimes due to stress.
- Acidity. more……
- Eating too much and quickly.
- Mainly depends on emotional feelings(nervous, excited, etc).
- Having fatty and spicy food.
- Gas in the stomach.
- After surgery, the time of wound healing.
- Swallowing air with chewing gum or sucking a candy.
2. Long term hiccups:
- Caused due to disorders of the central nervous system(CNS) like meningitis, metabolic disorders(diabetes, kidney failure) encephalitis, etc.
- Some drugs may also induce long-term hiccups, drugs like steroids, some tranquilizers, benzodiazepine, barbiturates, opioids.
- Nerve damage or irritation may also cause long term hiccups
- Presence of cyst, goiter, tumor in your neck.
- Reflux of gastroesophageal.
- Laryngitis or sore throat.
- Hair or foreign body touching your eardrum in your ear.
- It may also occur, associated due to pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritation, liver cancer, or hepatitis.
- Neiguan points.
- Pull your tongue.
- Press your diaphragm
- Gv26( midway between the nose and the upper lip)
- Drink ice water or warm water.
- Gargle with water.
- Eating sugar or jaggery.
- Eating lemon./ suck a lemon.
- Sip some hot sauce.
- Yogurt with salt(eat it slowly).
- Water + cardamom powder/eliachi.
- Take half asafoetida powder(hing) + 1teaspoon clarified butter/ghee.
- Hug your knees.
- Deep breathing (pranayama).
- Breathe into a paper bag.
- Do chest exercise.
- Hold your breath.
- Massage your neck.
It always seems impossible until it is done.